Sunday, February 1, 2009

Superbowl Logos: Past, Present & Future

The Superbowl isn't just about football. It also marks a very important day in Advertising & Marketing strategies. I always get excited about sporting event logos and advertisements because it offers a great snapshot into current design trends. These logos and advertisements are targeted at a huge demographic--the majority of the US population that is watching this game. The New York times ran a great article about the history of the Superbowl logos. I just wanted to show the progression of the logo over the last 43 years (go here for a nice collection of all Superbowl logos of years past):


This year's logo (XLIII) has gotten some harsh criticism, but I don't think it is that bad. I personally enjoy some of the simplicity in this year's logo, even though I do agree with some remarks that the logo looks to be inspired by the Bank of America logo. The last exciting part about the Superbowl (logo wise) is that they announce the next logo, a year in advance:

I'm really digging this new design for the 2010 Superbowl in Miami. It sure beats the "shield" design motif that has been (over)used for the past 25 years. I also think the perspective lines make this logo pop more than in the past. What are your thoughts?

Hmmmm... now I want some chips, guacamole, and a beer!

No comments: